Monday, April 18, 2011

Good English

Here is the scene in the hallway this morning:

It is roughly 10:51 in the morning and students are gathering in the hallway to watch Hurricane Studioworks the high school's video news program.  Today is a particularly exciting day because they are doing a mini feature on ME!  That's right - a tremendously embarrassing string of footage where I tell stories about the ghetto girls in my high school and laugh unattractively for all to see.  Before this however the two "news anchors" for the day delivered the daily announcements.  As the female anchor, a clearly Americanized Asian student, probably grade eleven or twelve, reads her portion with great enthusiasm and cheer one of my grade nine students (we call him "Jungle Boy" for his rendition of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" that he performed at Hansen Idol), he crosses his arms while nodding knowingly and says "She's got good English."  I turn to him - barely able to contain my mirth - and say "Jungle Boy, she's not an exchange student."  His face promptly turned as red as his hair and we all had a good giggle (which later turned into a private laugh-fest for me in my classroom).  This adorably ignorant boy was impressed by her English skills.  Love it.  Now in his defense RHSS does currently have a group of exchange students here from Thailand who were introduced on the program sometime last week - but I still found this brief exchange hilarious.  I mean the girl doesn't even have the trace of an accent!  And this is Canada!  It is not surprising to come across an Asian student!  Hilarious I tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment