Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I left my laptop AT SCHOOL

Can you SENSE the rage and frustration I'm feeling?!?!

I can't believe it. I really can't believe it. My laptop is my money maker. My life blood. An extension of my body. Necessary for my being.

Do you understand or should I continue with the melodrama? Long story short, I use my laptop for everything. Since I don't have a cell phone or a house phone I use it to communicate with my family who are far away as well as with my friends and co-workers when I need to get in touch with them. More importantly though, I use my computer to do my planning. I can go without messaging my homies for an evening. What I CAN'T go without is preparing for my school day. All of my notes, curriculum, powerpoint slideshows, course materials, word processing capabilities, bookmarks... It's all on there... half an hour away (significantly longer with what will now be rush hour traffic and the return trip. I'm freaking. I attempted to get ahold of my SA who may or may not be at school still but there was no answer.

Can I survive doing all of my planning and typing on my tiny iTouch? I guess we'll see.
Or is it worth the time and gas to go retrieve the computer and maybe some of my sanity?
It's ironic really because JUST this afternoon the Social Studies department Head and I were discussing which pieces of technology were essential to the classroom these days, and we both decided that the lap top is the most essential piece because it helps both in and out of the classroom, makes you more portable, etc. And what do I do? Forget mine.

It probably has something to do with how exhausting today was. It honestly felt like a Monday. Most of my classes were great but my grade 10s at the end of the day today could just NOT handle class time. This one boy - whose name I continue to mispronounce - refused to sit in the new seat I had assigned him (since he's a giant loudmouth who keeps everyone from getting their work done). So I had to do this stupid power struggle thing with him where I told him he could either move to his assigned seat or take his attitude into the hall and he tried to argue with me! Meaning he tried to loudly convince me of why I was wrong for moving him - insisting that now he would NEVER get ANY learning done because of how BORED and MISERABLE he was going to be. I ignored him. THEN partway through class AS I was talking he STOOD UP and started walking back to his old desk. I could barely speak I was in such disbelief at his impertinence! So after a bit more haggling the boy-whose-name-I-continue-to-mispronounce sat in relative peace with only a few grunts from his general direction

Thankfully for me the tension broke right around Ontario as I mentioned that Toronto was a large "metropolitan area". Here is the conversation that followed:
S1: "What's a metr-i-opolin area?"
S2: "Oh! I know! It's that band!"
S3: "I thought it was an ice cream..."
S4: "You idiot - That's Napoleon!"
Me: "You mean...Neapolitan?"

(The first five seconds of silence this class has ever experienced...)

And then roaring laughter that left the class wild as animals for the remainder of the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment